Thursday, November 20, 2008

First Contact with Prospects

Your first contact with a prospective client may be your only contact so it is important to make a convincing case for them to use your service.

Your message needs to be professional, concise and compelling. This is true whether the communication is by phone, letter or email. Of course, those who have purchased my Business Plan System know I am a proponent of sending a letter first then following with a phone call most of the time. My sample "prospect letter" included with my material has proven to be a great tool in getting a prospective client's attention (and often prompting them to call you).

You only have a short amount of time to convince a prospect your service is valuable to them. My sample script provides a good guide line for the phone conversation but I encourage you to alter the wording to fit your own personal style. To close the deal, I have sometimes found it helpful to tell a prospect they can always hire an attorney if I am unable to negotiate an acceptable settlement first. Since there is no cost unless I am successful, they have nothing to lose.

Always take your first contact seriously and ensure the communication reflects favorably upon you and your service. It may be your only opportunity to turn a prospect into a fee paying client.

Scott F. Soape

No comments: