Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Surprise Case

A courthouse visit late last December generated about a dozen qualified leads for recent lawsuits (my Business Plan System explains in detail how to find these). I went through my usual process of mailing my powerful Prospect Letter and following up with phone calls a few days later. These efforts resulted in my landing several fee generating clients within about a week or two.

However, I was never able to speak directly with one of the prospects and could only leave a couple of recorded messages, the last being on January 6th (leaving more than 2 or 3 messages becomes a nuisance). I figured this business had either retained an attorney or had closed their doors for good.

To my surprise, I received a call on January 31st from the owner and he retained my services the next day. He had waited until the last minute to deal with this problem so I immediately requested and was granted an extension on the answer date to the lawsuit. After a couple of emails and ONE week later, I had negotiated a discounted out-of-court settlement and earned a $650 fee...

Original Debt: $11,030
Settlement: $8,250 payable over 24 months at a 6% APR
Savings to Client: $2,780 (plus waived attorney's fee of $3,670)

This is just one example to how getting the word out about your service can result in cases you never thought you might get. Continuing to prospect for clients on a regular basis can pay off in unexpected ways.

Scott F. Soape

No comments: